Indian and White in Happy Valley: Long Prairie
In 1846, the U.S. government and the Winnebago Indians signed a treaty to remove the tribe from northeastern Iowa to a new reservation along the Long Prairie River. Called the Long Prairie Reservation, the area was a vast wilderness, about 897,900 acres, in what is now central Minnesota. Estimates vary but from 2,100 to 2,800 Indians made the journey north from Iowa in 1848. The Winneabgo Indians soon became dissatisfied with their new home along the Long Prairie River. In 1855, in a new treaty, the tribe agreed to leave the Long Prairie Reservation and move to a reservation at Blue Earth in southern Minnesota Territory.